Course dates: 4-8 August 2019
Location: Tel-Hai College, Upper Galilee, Israel
Application deadline: May 19, 2019
|Dr. Gad Schaffer is the head of the Tel Hai Historical Cartography Research Institute and a lecturer. His expertise is in Historical GIS and more specifically the use of historical maps, aerial and satellite imagery to analyses the landscape changes in Israel in the last 150 years. Schaffer has 13 years of practical and theoretical experience with GIS systems and have published several peer-review papers on those topics|
Get yourself immerse into the world of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and historical cartography in this short 5-day international course. The course will give you all you need to start working independently and with confidence on ArcGIS software. The course includes a field trip, lectures from top tier scholars and usage of historical maps and aerials which are part of Tel-Hai’s Center for Historical Cartographic Research.
- An intensive course that gives practical experience in the use of ArcGIS software
- The course grants a certificate of completion or two academic credits
- A combination of fieldwork, lectures and computer work
- Introduction and use of original historical materials
- Expanding horizons on mapping, geography, history and politics of Israel and the Galilee
The topics taught are:
- Possible uses of GIS in different fields
- Basic concepts and first acquaintance with ArcGIS for Desktop software (ArcMap operating system and ArcCatalog organization system)
- Familiarity with projections coordinates
- Geographic information layers - Raster and Vector
- Manage and view layers in ArcMap
- Anchoring maps / aerial / satellite photographs - familiarity with historical material at first hand
- Management of database - labels, symbols and information
- Queries and spatial analyzes of the database
- Cartography and map creation
No prior knowledge of GIS is required. However, basic knowledge of Office software programs (Word, Excel) and proficiency in English is required. The course is open to a limited number of participants. Graduate, Masters and Ph.D. students, postdocs and researchers from all nationalities are welcome to attend! At the end of the course students can obtain two academic credit points subject to their home institutions’ approval or a certificate of completion.
Application Fee (nonrefundable)
Industry / Other
Housing: limited number of rooms available
(per night/per person, college dormitories)
Cancellation of participation up to one month prior to the first day of the workshop – 100% refund, (less bank transfer/credit card fees and application fees)
Cancellation of participation up to two weeks prior to the first day of the workshop – 70% refund (less bank transfer/credit card fees and application fees)
Cancellation of participation less than two weeks prior to the first day of the workshop – no refund.
Registration and payment – relevant link will be sent to the applicants by email.
For further information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel-Hai College Virtual Tour:
Learn more about us