- Prof. Shmuel Shamai
- [email protected]
- Social Work
Sociology of education, sociology of immigration, community, and periphery. Sense of place.
Tel Hai Academic College, Department of education:
- Introduction to sociology of education: 1995-2004 (1st year)
- Israeli education system: 1995- present (2nd year)
- Ethnicity, education and society: 2002-4 (2nd year)
- Education and community: 2004/05 (3rd year)
- Gender and education 1997/8, 1999/2000, 2006/7, 2013/14 (3rd year seminar course)
Tel Hai Academic College, Department of Social Work
- Introduction to sociology 1996/7 -2005, 2010/11 (1st year)
- Israeli society: 1998/9–2006 , 2010/11 (1st year)
- Gender and society 2000/01– 2008, (3rd year seminar course)
- Multicultural sensitivity 2009/10 -current (2nd year MA seminar).
B. Supervision of (M.A.) graduate students in recent years:
- Ms. Zippora Margalit, "Preferences of school subjects, occupations and characters by girls and boys from town, moshav and kibbutz". Dept. of Education, University of Haifa (defense: Feb. 26, 1990).
- Ms. Orit Dinisman, “Evaluation of educational intervention program for immigrant absorption”. Dept. of Education, University of Haifa (defense: March 16, 2000).
- Ms. Ora Efroni “The Use of Dramatherapy with a Group of Druze Widows”. Dept. of Dramatherapy, University of Surrey (successful completion: December, 1999).
- October–November 1986: (Principal Investigator, (P.I.)) -The Ministry of Health and Welfare, Federal Government of Canada, research grant, Demographic Review Project.
- October 1991–September, 1994: (P.I.) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, "Increasing the number of female students in science and engineering studies and occupations".
- November 1995–October, 1998; 1999–2000: (P.I.) Israel Ministry of Science, research grant, "The reactions of the Golan students to the situation of the Golan". Joint research with Prof. A. Klingman (P.I.) & Prof. M. Zeidner (P.I.).
- 1997: Cooperating Investigator. International Zionist Federation, research grant, “Intervention program among immigrants' parents: involvement in education”. Joint research with Dr. Z. Ilatov (P.I.).
- November 1997–October, 2000: (P.I.) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, “Improving immigrants' absorption in the community and in the education system”. Joint research with Prof. T. Horowitz (P.I.) & Dr. Z. Ilatov.
- May 1999–April 2002: (P.I.) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, "Children at risk in the Golan: Locating, treating and preventing – a community project". Joint research with Prof. T. Horowitz (P.I.) & Dr. Z. Ilatov.
- 2000: (P.I.) Jewish Agency: research grant, "The personal and community pressure of the residents of Kiryat Shemona and their sense of place".
- November 2001–October 2004: (P.I.) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, “Immigration and education – Integration or separation”. Joint research with Prof. T. Horowitz (P.I.) & Dr. Z. Ilatov.
- 2006: (P.I.) The Galilee Development Council, research grant, "Demographic growth in the urban periphery in the Galilee". Joint research with Dr. Sara Arnon (P.I.) & Prof. Chezi Dar.
- 2006 – 2009: (P.I.) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, "The evacuees from the disengagement of Gaza Strip and North Samaria: Place, community and adaptation". Joint research with Prof. I. Schnell, (P.I.) & S. Arnon.
- 2009-2012 (P.I.) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, "Directions of Jewish and Arab Initiative Development in the Northern Rural Periphery". Joint research with Prof. I. Schnell, (P.I.) & Dr. Z. Greenberg.
- 2009 – 2011 (P.I) Galileo Foundation. "Multicultural attitudes and practices: the case study of Tel-Hai Academic College". Joint research with Dr. T. Hager (P.I.).
- 2011-2013 (P.I) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, Immigration to the rural periphery in the Golan &the northeastern Galilee: a community analysis. Joint research with Dr. Sara Arnon, (P.I.) & Dr. Z. Greenberg.
- 2011-2014 (P.I) Ministry of Science and Technology, research grant, “Center and periphery: The viewpoint of citizens from the North-Eastern periphery”. Joint research with Dr. Sara Arnon, (P.I.) & Dr. S. Getz.
- 2012-2013 (P.I). Reformed “Direct Absorption” Model and New Immigrant Absorption in the Northeastern Periphery. Joint research with Dr. Zinaida Ilatov (P.I.).
- 2012-2013 (P.I). Accessibility to health services & social integration of elder people in periphery. Joint research with Dr. Adi Vitman. (P.I.).
- 2013-2014 (P.I.). Exploring the different models of increasing the population of the cooperative settlement- Golan Heights settlements as a model. Joint research with Dr. Adi Vitman. (P.I.).
Excellent teacher – Tel-Hai Academic College, Department of Social Work.
• Session organizer, "Educational Intervention in Gender Matters". Conference of the Israel Sociological Society, Bar-Ilan University, February 8, 1990.
• Member of the Conference organization committee for the 36th national conference of the Israeli Sociological Society, at Tel-Hai Academic College, February 2005.
• Member of the Conference organization committee for the 10th National Conference of the Israel Society for Research on the History of Education, at Tel-Hai Academic College, June 25, 2008.
• Session organizer, "Education of Minorities and Immigrants". 38th World Congress of the International Institute of Sociology, Budapest, Hungary, at the Central European University, June 29, 2008.
6. Participation in Scholarly Conferences (since 2009)
“Evaluation utility as an asset to community development: Model for organizational learning regarding community health and education”. Paper presented with Z. Ilatov, &, I. Somech. Coping & Resilience International Conference Dubrovnik 2009, October 3-6, 2009, Dubrovnik-Cavtat, Croatia.
“The ways the Russian immigrants cop with the Israeli education”. Paper presented with Tamar Horowitz at conference of immigration from the previous USSR and the education in Israel. University of Tel Aviv, September 14, 2010.
“From a model of a Russian school to Israeli educational network”. Paper presented with Tamar Horowitz at the immigration and demography section of the Israel sociological society. Ruppin academic center, November 19, 2010.
“Migration from central urban Israel to its northern rural periphery. Paper presented with Sara Arnon at the 41st Annual Urban Affairs Association Conference: Reclaiming the City - Building a Just and Sustainable Future. New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A., March 18, 2011.
From the FSU to Israel: Russian Educational Philosophy, Pedagogy, and Strategy in Israeli Schools. Paper presented with T. Horowitz and Z. Ilatov, at the International Standing Conference for the History of Education. University of Geneva, Geneva, June 30, 2012.
“The politics of memory: The case of Jewish and Arab Students”. Paper presented with Tamar Hager at the 3rd International Conference on Re-Thinking Humanities and Social Sciences University of Zadar, Croatia, September 5-9, 2012.
“Religion and science in the curriculum of Shuvo Russian educational network “. Paper to be presented Tamar Horowitz and Zinaida Ilatov at the Research Workshop of the Israel Science Foundation – Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, May 30, 2013.
“Immigrants’ group as an agent of educational change – the case of Russian-speaking immigrants in Israel education system”. Paper presented with Ilatov, Z. & T. Horowitz at Global Academic Network Conference (Ottawa, ON, Canada), 26-29 of March 2014.
7. Colloquium Talks and other Invited Addresses
"The non-policy of educational absorption in Israel: 1990-2000.” A colloquium on multi-cultural education and immigrant absorption in Israel. Department of Educational Policy, School of Education, Tel Aviv University, May 18, 2000.
“Educational challenge of FSU immigrants to the Israeli educational system”. EPS Huaxi International Forum in Higher Education”. Guest speaker. Xi’an, Shanxi，China, on August 12-15, 2011.