- Dr. Yousef Jabareen
- Senior Lecturer
- Multidisciplinary Studies - B.A.
- [email protected]
Tel Hai Academic College, Department of Education, Tel Hai, Israel 2009-present Senior Lecturer 2015-present
Head of the Social Studies sub-department, 2013-2015
Course: Human Rights, Law and Education, Multiculturalism and Education, Law and Social Policy, Law and Conflict Resolution, Arab-Jewish Relations in Israel.
Arab American College, Givat Haviva, Israel 2021-present
Course: International Public Law, Introduction to Israeli Law.
University of Haifa, Law Faculty, Haifa, Israel 2004-2015
Course: The Legal Status of the Arab Minority in Israel; Legal Clinic on Law and the Arab Minority in Israel.
Tel Aviv University, Law Faculty, Tel Aviv, Israel 2004-2009
Adjunct Lecturer, Course: Law and Social Change; The Rights of Minority Groups.
American University, Washington College of Law, DC 8/2002-12/2003
Professorial Lecturer, Course: Advanced International Human Rights Advocacy.
University of Maryland, Center for Jewish Studies, College Park, MD 2002-2003
Adjunct Lecturer, Course: Arab Society in Israel.
Grant Recipient, Council of Higher Education, Arab Lecturer with Distinction
Tel Hai Academic College 2011-2014
Fellow, European Union Visitors Program, Brussels 11-16/4/2010
Grant Recipient, New Israel Fund Planning Grant
Dirasat: The Arab Center for Law and Policy 1/2007-12/2007
Fellow, Vidal Angel Postdoctoral Fellowship, Minerva Center for Human Rights The Hebrew University of Jerusalem 10/2006-9/2007
Fellow, The Max Planck Institute (MPI) for International and Comparative Public Law, Heidelberg, Germany 7-10/2005
Fellow, The Gilo Center for Citizenship, Democracy and Civic Education,
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem 10/2004-6/2005
Law Fellow, International Human Rights Internship Program (IHRIP) 9-12/2003
Fellow, Salzburg Seminar: Community Leadership and Policy Change 12/2001
Fellow, Israeli-Arab Scholarship Program, US Department of State
National Arab Student Union Award for Student Leadership 1999
Law Fellow, New Israel Fund U.S.-Israel Civil Liberties Program 1996-1997
Israel Ministry of Education Award for Student Leadership 1990
- Ozaky-Lazar, S. & Jabareen, Y. eds., (2017). Conditional Citizenship: On Citizenship, Equality and Offensive Legislation (Pardes Publishing, Haifa) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Y. & Mustafa, M. (Eds.). (2013). Local Government in Palestinian Society in Israel: Political, Management and Legal Aspects (Pardes Publishing, Haifa) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2022). Linguistic Rights for Minorities and the Quest for Equality: The Case of Arab-Palestinians in Israel, Journal of Law and Social Change, Vol. 25(4): 259-286.
- Kasler, J., and Jabareen. Y. (2022). The LD Train Has Left the Station, but Not for Everyone: The Forgotten Palestinian Children in Israel with Learning Disabilities. The International Journal of Learner Diversity and Identities, Vol. 29 (2): 1-17.
- Magadley, W., Amara, M., Jabareen, Y. (2019). Alternative Education in Palestinian-Arab Society in Israel: Rationale and Characteristics, International Journal of Educational Development, Vol. 67: 85-93.
- Daoud, N., Alfayumi-Zeadan, S., Jabareen, Y. (2018). Barriers to Health Care Services Among Palestinian Women Denied Family Unification in Israel, International Journal of Health Services, Vol. 48(4):776-797.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2018). Enshrining Exclusion: The Nation-State Law and the Arab-Palestinian Minority in Israel, in: Defining Israel: The Jewish State, Democracy, and the Law, Simon Rabinovitch ed. 249-63 (Cincinnati, OH: Hebrew Union College Press, 2018).
- Jabareen, Y. & Agbaria A. (2017). Minority Educational Autonomy Rights: the Case of Arab-Palestinians in Israel, The Virginia Journal of Social Policy & the Law, Vol. 24(1): 25-55.
- Kasler, J. & Jabareen, Y. (2017). Triple Jeopardy: Special Education for Palestinians in Israel, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Vol. 21(12): 1261-1275.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2017). Deepening Exclusion: On the Bill of “Israel: The Nation State of the Jewish People”, in: Conditional Citizenship: On Citizenship, Equality and Offensive Legislation (S. Ozaky-Lazar & Jabareen, eds.) (Pardes Publishing, Haifa) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Y. & Vilkomerson, R. (2016). The Place of Organizations for Promotion of Policy in Divided Societies: Towards Significant Empowerment of Excluded Groups, Public Sphere: Journal of Politics and Society, Vol. 11: 92-119 (Tel Aviv University) (Hebrew).
- Hager, T. & Jabareen, Y. (2016). From Marginalization to Integration: Arab-Palestinians in Israeli Academia, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Vol. 20(5):1-19.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2015). The Arab-Palestinian Community in Israel: A Test Case for Collective Rights Under International Law, The George Washington International Law Review, Vol. 47(3): 449-480.
- Agbaria, A. & Jabareen, Y. (2015). Policy on Arab Teacher Training in Israel from the Perspective of the Right to Education: Governance as an Expression of Recognition of National-Cultural Uniqueness, Dapim: Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 60: 11-35. (Heb.)
- Jabareen, Y. & Vilkomerson, R. (2014). Public Policy in Divided Societies: The Role of Policy Institutes in Advancing Marginalized Groups, Innovation: The European Journal For Social Science Research, Vol. 27(1): 46-66.
- Daoud, N., & Jabareen, Y. (2014). Depressive Symptoms Among Arab Bedouin Women Whose Houses are Under Threat of Demolition in Southern Israel: A Right to Housing Issue, Health and Human Rights Journal, Vol. 16(1): 179 - 191.
- Agbaria, A., Mustafa, M., Jabareen Y. (2014). ‘In your face’ democracy: education for belonging and its challenges in Israel, British Educational Research Journal, 41(1): 143-175.
- Jabareen, Y. & Agbaria, A. (2014). Educational Autonomy for the Arab Minority in Israel: Rights and Possibilities, Gilui Daat: Multidisciplinary Journal of Education, Society and Culture, Vol. 5: 13-40 (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2013). The Politics of Equality: The Limits of Collective Rights Litigation and the Case of the Palestinian-Arab Minority in Israel, Columbia Journal of Race and Law, Vol. 4(1): 23-54.
- Agbaria, A. & Jabareen, Y. (2013). Buried Reports: The Implication of the Politics of Contempt on Arab Education in Israel, in: Civic Education in Israel (Dan Avnon, ed.)(Tel Aviv: Am Oved Publisher) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Y. & Mostafa, M. (2013). The Arab Spring: A Human Rights' Perspective, in Interpreting the Arab Spring: Significance of the New Arab Awakening 77- 96 (P. Singh & K. Chatterjee, eds.) (KolKata: Calcutta University, 2013).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2013). A Critical Examination of the Legal Challenges Facing Arab Local Authorities: The Case of National Priority Areas, in:Local Government in Palestinian Society in Israel: Political, Management and Legal Aspects (Y. Jabareen & M. Mustafa, eds.) (Haifa: Pardes Publishing House) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen Yousef (2013). On the Right to Impact the Education of the Arab-Palestinian Minority in Israel, in: Teacher Training in the Palestinian Society in Israel: Institutional Practices and Education Policy (Ayman Agbaria, ed.) (Tel Aviv: Resling Publishing) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2012). Redefining Minority Rights: Successes and Shortcomings of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, UC Davis Journal of International Law and Policy, Vol. 18(1): 119-161.
- Yousef Jabaren (2012). Two Types of Equality: A Theory of Critical Transformation in the Israeli Legal System, Public Sphere: Journal of Politics and Society, Vol. 7: 37-65 (Tel Aviv University) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2010). Critical Perspectives on Law, Equal Citizenship and Transformation, in: Plurality and Citizenship in Israel 68 (D. Avnon and Y. Benziman, eds.) (Rutledge, 2010).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2010). On the Constitutional Status of the Arab Minority in Israel: Proposing a New Order, State and Society, Vol. 7(1): 105-140 (2010) (University of Haifa) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2010). A Decade Since the Qa'adan Judgement: Critical Reflections on Equality, Ma'asei Mishpat: Tel Aviv University Journal of Law and Social Change, Vol. 3: 173-189 (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2010). Arabisch-palästinensische Kommunalpolitik in Israel, Israel-Palestine Journal, Vol. 2: 23-31 (German).
- Jabareen, Jousef T. (2009). Arabes israéliens dans un Etat juif : une citoyenneté de seconde zone, Les Cathiers De L'orient, Eté 2009. N° 95: 47-58. (French)
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2008). Constitution Building and Equality in Deeply-Divided Societies: The Case of the Arab Minority in Israel, Wisconsin International Law Journal, Vol. 26(2): 345-402.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2008). Toward Participatory Equality: Protecting Minority Rights Under International Law, Israel Law Review, Vol. 41(3): 635-676.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2006). Law, Minority and Transformation: A Critique and Rethinking of Civil Rights Doctrines, Santa Clara Law Review, Vol. 46(3): 513-566.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2006). Law and Education: Critical Perspectives on Arab Education in Israel, American Behavioral Scientist 49(8):1052-1074.
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2005). Law, Education and Social Change: The Case of Arab Education in Israel, Indigenous and Minority Education: International Perspectives on Empowerment, Champagne, D. and Abu-Saad, I. (eds.) (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, 2005).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2007). “Adequate Representation” of the Arab Population in Israel: Who is the Representative? How Many is Adequate and for Whom is it Adequate? Organizational Analysis, Issue11 (2007) (Hebrew).
- Jabareen, Yousef T. (2007). Non-Governmental Organizations as a Political Alternative: a Critical Look, The Arab Minority in Israel and the 17th Knesset Election, E. Rekhess (ed.) (Tel Aviv University, 2007) (Hebrew).
- CV download