single faculty member
- Biotechnology - B.Sc. Program
- Thermodynamic and Physical Chemistry Processes
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Clays and Clay Minerals
- Adsorption Processes
- Chemical Kinetics
- Spectroscopic Techniques (UV-VIS, FTIR, XRF, etc)
- Educational Aspects of Environmental Sciences
- Thermodynamic and kinetics in sorption and desorption processes.
- Adsorption models to charged and/or neutral surfaces.
- Removal of organic and inorganic pollutants from waters by means of organo-clays, nanocomposites or other sorbents: development of filtration techniques.
- Educational applications of environmental physical chemistry processes
- Use of tailor-made nanocomposites for the removal of suspended materials in food industry sewage (olive mills, dairy, wineries, etc.)
- Additional applications of clays, organoclays and nanocomposites as slow-release platforms (herbicides, fragrance, fertilizers, proteins, medications, etc.).
- Photostabilization and photocatalyzed degradation of chemicals on colloidal surfaces.
Submitted 7 different patents in 20 applications. Most of the patents activity was done in the last three years, as can be seen from the dates of the applications. Attached a list of granted patents and PCTs (or provisional applications, in cases where PCT was not yet submitted).
- Rytwo, G. and Y. Gonen (2009) WO/2009/053972 PCT/IL2008/001370 “Modified activated carbon as adsorbent for anionic and cationic inorganic pollutants”, WIPO website, Patent purchased by Toxsorb Ltd., which manufactures sorbents for water treatment according to the technology
- Rytwo, G. (2012) WO2012176190 PCT/IL2012/000245 “Method for Pretreatment of Wastewater and Recreational Water with Nanocomposites”, Rytwo, G. (2017) Granted US Patent No. 9,546,102, January 17, 2017. https://www.google.com/patents/US9546102 , Notice of Allowance Israeli Patent No. 230108, September 2017, At national phase in several other countries, License assigned to ICL, manufactures "NC" according to the invention.
- Rytwo, G. (2014) WO2015022695 PCT/IL2014/050738 (at national phase) "Method for Pretreatment of Wastewater and Recreational Water with Nanocomposites and Bridging Polymers", WIPO website, At national phase in several countries. License sold to ICL, manufactures "NC" according to the invention.
- Rytwo, G., Daskal, G. (2016) WO2016042558A1 PCT/IL2015/050944, “A system for treatment of polluted effluents” , WIPO website, To be submitted for national phase in March 2018.
- Gutman R, Rytwo G. (2015) US prov. #62/237593 "Acicular clays and biocomposites based thereon for use in treatment of metabolic syndrome and related disorders". PCT in October 2016
- Rytwo, G. (2016) PCT/IL2016/050700 "Methods for Production of Potable Water", https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2017158581
- Rytwo, G. (2016) US prov. #62/345,832 "Ambient temperature moderation by combining monitoring of heat flux with changes in heat transfer properties of the walls"
Attracted over 3$ million of funding over the last 20 years, among them (examples only):
-A grant from the Israel Science Foundation, on "Herbicide/ clay- organic complexes prepared in a mixed hydrophobic/ hydrophilic phase to reduce ecological hazard" (a total of about 200000$ 2005-2009).
- 2007-2009- Industrial support (by "ToxSorb" company) on the use of modified activated carbon for the efficient removal of inorganic pollutants from water and effluent (evaluated as 500000$)
- 2011-2014: A grant from the Ministry of Agriculture, on "Adaptation of a Gouy-Chapman-Stern adsorption model for the evaluation of wastewater pharmaceuticals in soils" (100000$)
-2011-2014: European ECO-INNOVATION 2010 "Mobile Integrated Sustainable System for Treatment of Organic Wastewater" (MISSTOW), a joint project with industry and research institutes from Israel, Spain and Greece. The project had a budget of 1.8 million €.
-2012-2013: A grant from the Israeli Ministry of Economics on the development of platforms for the removal of organic pollutants via adsorption and photodegradation (200000$).
-2013- Industrial support granted by ICL Ltd., on the test of coagoflocculation processes for the pretreatment of effluents. The total financial support is evaluated as 1000000$.
-2015-2016: A grant from the Ministry of Economics on the use of clays and biocomposites for the alleviation of "Methabolic Syndrome" (200000$).
-2017-2018: Three internal competitve MIGAL/ICA grants on "Application of clay polymer nanocomposites in potable water treatment", and "Ambient temperature moderation by combining monitoring of heat flux with changes in heat transfer properties of the walls", (a total of 60000$).
-2018-2020: A grant from the Ministry of Agriculture, on "Clay mineral based formulations for slow release of essential oils, aiming thrips control", together with Dr. Shaaltiel, Prof. Dudai & Dr. Ben Yakir. (A total of 210000$ during three years, app. 40% to Prof. Rytwo's research group).
Invited presentations in conferences and advanced schools;
Since 2006 I delivered more than 50 presentations in conferences. About 40 of them in International Conferences held outside my country, in six cases as "Invited" or "Keynote" lecturer (2008, 2010, 2013, 2014 and in two occasions during 2015). Some of those meetings are among the most important conferences in my field of research (2010-Trilateral USA-Japan-Spain Meeting on Clays, 2014 Clay Mineral Society Workshop, and 2015 EUROCLAY15, European Conference in Clay Sciences). I was also invited to deliver an M.Sc. Course in Environmental Remediation at the International Master in Clay Sciences Program (IMACS), supported by the International Association of Clay Minerals Research (AIPEA) during 2016. As a result of the success of the course I had been asked by IMACS to do it (as "Remote Learning") in 2017.
Organization of conferences and congresses:
Since 2006 I participated in the organization of several international conferences: (a) Initiator and Organizer of the “Chemistry in Water Treatment and Purification Symposium”, held at the 243rd American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, in San Diego, California, March, 2012; (b) Symposium Organizer of the "Water-Related Medical Geology Issues" held at MEDGEO 2013, 5th International Conference in Medical Geology, Arlington, VA Aug. 25-29, 2013, and (c), Initiator and convener of the symposium on "Environmental Applications of Modified and Natural Clays", to be held in the 16th International Clay Conference, Granada, Spain 2017. In addition to that, member of the steering committee of several conferences in Israel, among them the Ann. Meeting Israel Society of Clay Research, Upper Galilee, October 2011, and 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Annual National Water Conference in Tel Hai College (2012-2017).
Recognized leadership in industrial innovation and environmental aspects:
- (a) A technology I am its senior inventor, that uses modified activated carbon for the removal of heavy metals and oxyanions in industrial and potable is applied by ToxSorb Co., a water technology "Cleantech" company that works since 2008 (company website, additional details), with clients in Israel, Italy and USA (see above, patent #1).
- (b) A technology I am its sole inventor, based on the development of specifically designed clay-polymer nanocomposites for the clarification of water is the basis of several patents (see above, patents #2,3,6), part of them already at National Phase in US, Europe and other places. The license for the use of the technology in wastewater and effluents (patents #2,3) was assigned to ICL Haifa, a global manufacturer of products primarily in three markets: agriculture, food and engineered materials, and one of the largest chemicals companies in Israel. Since 2015 they are responsible for the introduction of the product known as "NC" to the industrial and domestic wastewater treatment in Israel and around the world (additional information in this press release, and at the following advertising movies: 1, 2).
-(c) Negotiations about the funding of a clean-tech startup company based on the photocatalytic degradation technology developed in patents #12 and 16 is taking place (September, 2017). A Channel 10 television report on the technology (in Hebrew) was broadcasted on October, 3rd, 2017.
-(d) 2000-2005 & 2016-2020: Secretary and Head, Israeli Society for Clay Research
-(e) 2009-2013: Chair, Teaching Clay Minerals Committee, International Association for the Study of Clays, AIPEA
-(f) 2017- Member of the Water Standartization Committee at The Standards Institution of Israel.
-(g) 2017-2020: Israel delegate in the Management Committee to COST Action CA16229, European Network for Environmental Citizenship European Network for Environmental Citizenship
1994-1995 Guest lecturer. Tel Hai Rodman Academic College.
1996-2001 Staff member, instructor and lecturer. Tel Hai Academic College.
2001- Senior Lecturer, Tel Hai Academic College.
2003-2006 Dean, Faculty of Sciences and Technology, Tel Hai Academic College
2005-2012 Associate Professor in Environmental Sciences, Tel Hai College.
2006-2009 Head, Environmental Sciences Department, Tel Hai Academic College.
2009-2012 The Cherie & Aaron Raznick Chair for The Study of a Sustainable Man-Environment Relationship in Upper Galilee
2012- Full Professor in Environmental Sciences, Tel Hai College.
2012- Member at the "Biotechnology, Biology, Environmental Sciences and similar disciplines Sectional Committee" at the Israeli Council for Higher Education.
2012- Co-Founder, advisor and lecturer in "Academy in Town Square" - a community oriented project: academic-level courses accessible to general public in Kiryat Shemona. http://english.telhai.ac.il/content/academy-town-square , http://www.israelgives.org/project/1943
2016- Head, Environmental Sciences Department, Tel Hai College
2016 M.Sc. course in "Environmental Remediation" at IMACS- International Master Degree in Clay Sciences, University of Poitiers, France.
1994-present Developed and teaches more than 15 courses on Physics, Chemistry, Thermodynamics and Meteorology at several departments at Faculty of Sciences and Technology, Tel Hai College, Israel. Actual courses: Instrumental Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Aquatic Chemistry, Thermodynamics and Introduction to Meteorology and Climatology at the B.Sc. program, and Advanced Chapters in Physical Chemistry, Aquatic Environmental Chemistry Laboratory Methods and Physico-Chemical Methods in Water Treatment at the M.Sc. program in Tel Hai College.
2012-present Courses at "Town-Square Academia" Community Project: "The Modern Physics' Revolution", "Understanding Weather Parameters", "Understanding Water Pollution". The project is an education initiative in The Upper Galilee offering academic-level courses accessible to general public at a symbolic fee of NIS 20 (less than $5) per course, used to support the organization costs. Additional details on the project at "The Guardian" website , and at this TEDx lecture.
Supervision of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows
2016- Supervisor of 2 M.Sc. ongoing theses at the Water Sciences Dept. Tel Hai College, Israel.
2015-2016 Supervisor, Post-Doc at MIGAL institute (with the support of CEREHA EU project).
2015-2016 Tutorial Committee, Ph.D. student, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Durango, Mexico
2012-2016 Supervisor of 5 M.Sc. students at the Biotechnology Dept. of Tel Hai College, Israel.
2011-2014 Co-supervisor, Ph.D. student at the Marine Biology Dept. University of Haifa, Israel
2011-2013 Co-supervisor of a Ph.D. student at the Environmental Engineering Department, Technion Institute, Haifa, Israel (interrupted due to student's personal reasons).
2002-2011 Member at the Tutorial Committee for 2 Ph.D. students at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and 1 student at Tel Aviv University
1997-2012 Co-supervisor of 10 M.Sc. students and a Ph.D. student in the Faculty of Agriculture of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
2009 – 2012, 2016-present Head of "“The Cherie and Aaron Raznick Chair for the Study of Sustainable Relations Between People and the Environment in the Upper Galilee.”
2012, 2015 Award for Excellence in Applicative Research, MIGAL Galilee Research Institute.
2000, 2005, 2010, 2014 Excellence in Teaching Award, Faculty of Sciences & Technology, Tel Hai College.
2011 Invited to present the use of nanocomposites for effluents purification at an event held by Israeli’s President (2011) Mr. Shimon Peres.
2011 At Nobel Prize Ceremony in Stockholm (2011) Mrs. Maya Samuels presented a project performed at my laboratory under my supervision and mentoring.
1999-2002 Sacta-Rashi Foundation Guastella Scholarship ($60000) for excellence in research in academic colleges
1991-1994 Several prizes during Ph.D. studies: Bona Terra Foundation Prize, Fishman-Nadel Foundation Prize, Upper Galilee Prize and Scholarship.
1982-1984 During B.Sc. studies: Dean List and Scholarship, Faculty of Agriculture, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.
- Full CV download
A list of presentations, presented by Prof. Rytwo in conferences and scientific meetings during the last years