- Multidisciplinary Studies - B.A. Program
Ruth Preser is a scholar in the field of cultural studies, combining feminist and queer theory and empirically informed inquiry. Ruth studies forms of citizenship, the public sphere and politics of belonging in the context of kinship, migration, diasporic cultures and urban environments. She is a co-founder of the Haifa Feminist Institute - Archive, Library and Research Center, and a member of the Lexicon for Political Theory research group at the Minerva Humanities Center in Tel-Aviv University.
PhD - Bar-Ilan University, Gender Studies Program
MA - Bar-Ilan University, Gender Studies Program
BA - University of Haifa, History
Gender, intimacy and sexuality
Body, identity and belonging: the production of categories of health and pathology
Culture and psyche – seminar
Exclusion, belonging and public formations
The politics of emotions
Postdoctoral fellowship, ICI Berlin - Institute for Cultural Inquiry (2013-2014)
Postdoctoral fellowship, Rector’s postdoctoral award Bar-Ilan University, taken at Humboldt Universität Berlin (2012-2013)
Doctoral excellence fellowship, Bar-Ilan University (2007-2011)
Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). What Therefore Discourse Has Joined Together: Kinship, Performativity and Everyday Use of Pubic Space. Social and Cultural Geography. DOI: 10.1080/14649365.2018.1550805.
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). How to Be Feminist in Public. Feministiqa, 1 (1): 98-103.
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). The Lesbian Complaint: On Kinship, Genre, and Being Public. European Journal of Cultural Studies, 21 (2) 259-274.
- Preser, Ruth. (2017). Lost and Found in Berlin: Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Queer Zion. Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography, 24 (3) 413-425.
- Kark Ronit, Preser, Ruth & Zion-Waldoks, Tanya. (2016). From Politics of Dilemmas to Politics of Paradoxes: Feminism, Pedagogy and Women’s Leadership for Social Change. Journal of Management Education, 40 (3): 293-320.
- Preser, Ruth. (2016). A Methodology of Damage. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 19 (1): 17-30.
- Preser, Ruth. (2014). Things I Learned from the Book of Ruth. Essay. Theory and Criticism, 43: 313-319 [Hebrew]
- Preser, Ruth. (2011). ‘Coherent Deviants: Transformation and Transition in Life-Stories of Once-Married Women Who Chose to Live as Lesbians. Women’s Studies International Forum, 34 (2): 140-150.
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters:
- Preser, Ruth. (2017). Things I Learned from the Book of Ruth: Diasporic Reading of Queer Conversions. In: De/Constituting Wholes: Towards Partiality Without Parts. Manuele Gragnolati and Christoph F.E. Holzhey. 'Cultural lnquiry' (Series), Vienna: Turia + Kant, 47-65.
- Kark Ronit, Preser, Ruth & Zion-Waldoks, Tanya. (2017). Ironic Paradoxes: Feminist Pedagogy between Theory and Practice. In Daphna Golan, Yona Rosenfeld and Zvika Orr (Eds.), Bridges of Knowledge: Campus-Community Partnerships in Israel. Tel-Aviv: Mofet, 218-249 [Hebrew].
- Preser, Ruth. (2011). Relationships with Women/Lesbians. In Tal Tamir (Ed.), Women and Their Bodies: Our Bodies, Health, and Sexuality. Ben Shemen: Modan, 249-280 [Hebrew].
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). An Other Sex. Israeli Sociology, 19(2): 228-230 [Hebrew].
- Preser, Ruth. (2017). Un-learning to See Palestine. New Formations: A Journal of Culture/Theory/Politics, 89-90: 243-246.
- Preser, Ruth & Misgav, Chen. (2015). Israel/Palestine and the Queer International by Sarah Schulman with. Journal of Middle East Women's Studies: Journal of Middle East Women's Studies, 11(1): 111-113.
- Preser, Ruth. (2013). Figurations of Violence and Belonging: Queerness, Migranthood and Nationalism in Cyberspace and Beyond by Adi Kuntsman. Israeli Sociology, 15(1): 182-186 [Hebrew].
Recent Invited Talks
- 'How to Be Feminist in Public,' International Symposium: Comparative Perspectives on #MeToo, University of Kentucky 2019
- 'Israeli Sabra in the Queer Diaspora: The Chosen Body Revisited,' Queer Israelis in Berlin: Belonging, Resistance, and the Politics of Emigration, ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry 2018
- ‘Archive,’ Looted and Hidden – Film Screening & Discussion, The Lexicon for Political Theory, Minerva Humanities Center, Tel-Aviv University 2018
- ‘How to Be Feminist in Public,’ Gender and Conflict Lecture Series, The Sophie Davis Forum on Gender, International Conflict Resolution and Peace, Hebrew University 2018
- ‘What Therefore Discourse Has Joined Together: Kinship, Performativity and Everyday Use of Pubic Space,’ Queer(y)ing Kinship in the Baltic Region: An International Workshop, Centre for Baltic and Eastern European Studies, Södertörn University Stockholm 2017
- ‘The Vulnerable Feminist,’ ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry 2017
- ‘The Vulnerable Feminist,’ Gender Studies Colloquium, Ben Gurion University 2017
- ‘The Lesbian Complaint: On Kinship, Genre, and Being Public,’ The Lexicon for Political Theory, Minerva Humanities Center, Tel-Aviv University 2017
Recent Conference Papers
- 'Diversity, Sexuality and the Emergence of Berlin’s Queer Zion,' Midterm Conference of the ESA Sexuality Network, Institute of Sociology, Jagiellonian University in Kraków 2019
- ‘How to Be Feminist in Public,’ 8th International Conference of Critical Geography (ICCG), Athens 2019
- ‘Between the Queerscape and the Ethnoscape: Reading for a Contemporary Nomadic,’ IV European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, University of Barcelona 2017
- ‘Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Berlin’s Queer Zion,’ Becoming TransGerman: Transnational, Transdisciplinary, Transgender, Transhuman, Frei Universität, Berlin 2016
- ‘Lost and Found: Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Queer Zion,’ III European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, Sapienza- University of Rome 2015
- ‘Walking in the City: Cosmopolitanism, Multiculturalism and Israeli Queers in Berlin,’ The Israeli Geographical Association Annual Conference, University of Haifa 2014
- ‘A Family Portrait’ – plenary paper, International Conference on Critical Kinship Studies, University of Southern Denmark 2014
- ‘Berlin My Love – Haunting and the City,’ ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry, Berlin 2014
- ‘Berlin My Love,’ An Other Sex 14 - The Fourteenth Israeli Annual Conference for Lesbian & Gay Studies and Queer Theory, Tel Aviv University 2014
My publications on Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ruth_Preser