- Multidisciplinary Studies - B.A. Program
I am a scholar in the field of cultural studies, combining feminist and queer theory and empirically informed inquiry. I study forms of citizenship, the public sphere and politics of belonging in the context of kinship, migration, diasporic cultures and urban environments. I am a co-founder of the Haifa Feminist Institute - Archive, Library and Research Center, and a member of the Lexicon for Political Theory research group at the Minerva Humanities Center in Tel-Aviv University. My current research explores women without status in Israel.
PhD - Bar-Ilan University, Gender Studies Program
MA - Bar-Ilan University, Gender Studies Program
BA - University of Haifa, History
Gender, intimacy and sexuality; body, identity and belonging: the production of categories of health and pathology; culture and psyche – seminar; exclusion, belonging and public formations; the politics of emotions.
Awards & Fellowships
- Postdoctoral fellowship, ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry, Berlin (2013-2014)
- Overseas postdoctoral award, Bar-Ilan University (2012-2013, taken at Humboldt Universität, Berlin)
- Postdoctoral fellowship, Open University (2012-2013, declined)
- Doctoral excellence fellowship, Bar-Ilan University (2007-2011)
- Distinguished PhD Research Award, The Fanya Gottesfeld Heller Center for the Study of Women in Judaism at Bar-Ilan University (2011)
- Rector's Excellence Award, Bar-Ilan University (2009)
- MA Excellence Awards, Bar-Ilan University's (2002; 2003; 2004)
Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). What Therefore Discourse Has Joined Together: Kinship, Performativity and Everyday Use of Public Space. Social and Cultural Geography, DOI: 10.1080/14649365.2018.1550805. [IF 1.573 Q1]
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). How to Be Feminist in Public. Feministiqa, 1 (1): 98-103.
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). The Lesbian Complaint: On Kinship, Genre, and Being Public. European Journal of Cultural Studies, 21 (2): 259-274. [IF 1.3/26 Q1]
- Preser, Ruth. (2017). Lost and Found in Berlin: Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Queer Zion. Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography, 24 (3) 413-425. [IF 1.594 Q1]
- Kark Ronit, Preser, Ruth & Zion-Waldoks, Tanya. (2016). From Politics of Dilemmas to Politics of Paradoxes: Feminism, Pedagogy and Women’s Leadership for Social Change. Journal of Management Education, 40 (3): 293-320. [IF 0.612 Q2]
- Preser, Ruth. (2016). A Methodology of Damage. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 19 (1): 17-30. [IF 2.110 Q1]
- Preser, Ruth. (2014). Things I Learned from the Book of Ruth. Essay. Theory and Criticism, 43: 313-319 [Hebrew]
- Preser, Ruth. (2011). ‘Coherent Deviants: Transformation and Transition in Life-Stories of Once-Married Women Who Chose to Live as Lesbians. Women’s Studies International Forum, 34 (2): 140-150. [IF 1.049 Q2]
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters:
- Preser, Ruth. (2017). Things I Learned from the Book of Ruth: Diasporic Reading of Queer Conversions. In: De/Constituting Wholes: Towards Partiality Without Parts. Manuele Gragnolati and Christoph F.E. Holzhey. 'Cultural lnquiry' (Series), Vienna: Turia + Kant, 47-65.
- Kark Ronit, Preser, Ruth & Zion-Waldoks, Tanya. (2017). Ironic Paradoxes: Feminist Pedagogy between Theory and Practice. In Daphna Golan, Yona Rosenfeld and Zvika Orr (Eds.), Bridges of Knowledge: Campus-Community Partnerships in Israel. Tel-Aviv: Mofet, 218-249 [Hebrew].
- Preser, Ruth. (2011). Relationships with Women/Lesbians. In Tal Tamir (Ed.), Women and Their Bodies: Our Bodies, Health, and Sexuality. Ben Shemen: Modan, 249-280 [Hebrew].
Review Essays [Invited]:
- Preser, Ruth. (2018). An Other Sex. Israeli Sociology, 19(2): 228-230 [Hebrew].
- Preser, Ruth. (2017). Un-learning to See Palestine. New Formations: A Journal of Culture/Theory/Politics, 89-90: 243-246.
- Preser, Ruth & Misgav, Chen. (2015). Israel/Palestine and the Queer International by Sarah Schulman with. Journal of Middle East Women's Studies: Journal of Middle East Women's Studies, 11(1): 111-113.
- Preser, Ruth. (2013). Figurations of Violence and Belonging: Queerness, Migranthood and Nationalism in Cyberspace and Beyond by Adi Kuntsman. Israeli Sociology, 15(1): 182-186 [Hebrew].
- Full CV download
- 'How to Be Feminist in Public,' International Symposium: Comparative Perspectives on #MeToo, University of Kentucky 2019
- 'Israeli Sabra in the Queer Diaspora: The Chosen Body Revisited,' Queer Israelis in Berlin: Belonging, Resistance, and the Politics of Emigration, ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry 2018
- ‘Archive,’ Looted and Hidden – Film Screening & Discussion, The Lexicon for Political Theory, Minerva Humanities Center, Tel-Aviv University 2018
- ‘How to Be Feminist in Public,’ Gender and Conflict Lecture Series, The Sophie Davis Forum on Gender, International Conflict Resolution and Peace, Hebrew University 2018
- ‘What Therefore Discourse Has Joined Together: Kinship, Performativity and Everyday Use of Pubic Space,’ Queer(y)ing Kinship in the Baltic Region: An International Workshop, Centre for Baltic and Eastern European Studies, Södertörn University Stockholm 2017
- ‘The Vulnerable Feminist,’ ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry 2017
- ‘The Vulnerable Feminist,’ Gender Studies Colloquium, Ben Gurion University 2017
- ‘The Lesbian Complaint: On Kinship, Genre, and Being Public,’ The Lexicon for Political Theory, Minerva Humanities Center, Tel-Aviv University 2017
- ‘A Family Portrait’ – keynote address, Queer Kinship and Relationships International Conference, Polish Academy of Sciences2015
- ‘Lost and Found: Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Queer Zion,’ HaGymnasia Lecture Series on Hebrew Culture and Thought in Berlin, Zentrum Jüdische Studien Berlin-Brandenburg 2015
- ‘Race, Sexuality and Identity: the Israeli Queer Diaspora in Berlin,’ Israeli Immigrants in Berlin, WZB Berlin Social Science Center 2015
- ‘Queer as a Lifestyle’, invited response paper for the session ‘”Straight with a twist”: reflections on heterosexuality beyond the heteronormal,’ III European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, Sapienza - University of Rome 2015.
- ‘Haunting and the City: Everyday Encounters and Negotiations between Palestinians and Jews In the Diaspora,’ Gender and International Intervention in Violent Conflicts International Workshop, The Sophie Davis Forum on Gender, International Conflict Resolution and Peace, Hebrew University 2015.
- ‘Israeli Queer Diaspora in Berlin – Identity, Performativity and Memory,’ the Memory, Discourse and Diversity, Seminar, the department of Social Sciences, Humboldt Universität Berlin 2015.
- ‘Stopping in the City – Methodological Reflections on Urban Investigation,’ Urban Design and Social Change in the European Metropolis Seminar, Technische Universität & Bard College Berlin 2015.
- ‘Berlin my Love: The Here, the Queer and Walking in the City,’ Circle1 - Platform for Art & Culture Berlin 2014
- ‘A Methodology of Damage,’ Institut für Europäische Ethnologie Gender Labor, Humboldt Universität Berlin 2013
- ‘Belonging Travels,’ Institut für Europäische Ethnologie Colloquia Series, Humboldt Universität Berlin 2013
- ‘Queer Diaspora and Kinship Longing - Things I Learned from the Book of Ruth,’ Tikkun Shavuot, Hamakom – Center for Cultural Judaism Berlin 2013
- ‘Kinship, Familism and LGBT Relationships,’ Migration and Integration in Comparative Perspective Seminar, Humboldt Universität Berlin 2013
- ‘Queering the Family,’ Family Technologies Lecture Series, Technische Universität Berlin 2013
- ‘How to Say Coupledom in the Plural: Intimate Publics and Kinship Scandals,’ The Lafer Center for Women and Gender Studies’ Colloquia Series, The Hebrew University 2012
- ‘Fantasies about Activism in the Field and in the Academy,’ 10th Anniversary of the Gender Studies Program, Bar-Ilan University 2010
- 'The Lesbian Complaint: On kinship, Genre and Being Public,' Feminist, Queer, Trans... New Directions for Narrative Conference, Newcastle University (2020)
- 'Feminism, Infrastructures and Women without Status in the City of Haifa,' Eighth Berlin Program Interdisciplinary Summer Workshop, Berlin Program for Advanced German and European Studies, Freie Universität Berlin 2019
- 'Diversity, Sexuality and the Emergence of Berlin’s Queer Zion,' Midterm Conference of the ESA Sexuality Network, Institute of Sociology, Jagiellonian University in Kraków 2019
- ‘How to Be Feminist in Public,’ 8th International Conference of Critical Geography (ICCG), Athens 2019
- ‘How to Be Feminist in Public,’ Gender Studies Programs' Annual Conference, Tel-Hai 2019
- ‘Between the Queerscape and the Ethnoscape: Reading for a Contemporary Nomadic,’ IV European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, University of Barcelona 2017
- ‘Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Berlin’s Queer Zion,’ Becoming TransGerman: Transnational, Transdisciplinary, Transgender, Transhuman, Frei Universität Berlin 2016
- ‘Lost and Found: Identity, Ontology and the Emergence of Queer Zion,’ III European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, Sapienza- University of Rome 2015
- ‘Walking in the City: Cosmopolitanism, Multiculturalism and Israeli Queers in Berlin,’ The Israeli Geographical Association Annual Conference, University of Haifa 2014
- ‘A Family Portrait’ – plenary paper, International Conference on Critical Kinship Studies, University of Southern Denmark 2014
- ‘Berlin My Love – Haunting and the City,’ ICI Berlin Institute for Cultural Inquiry 2014
- ‘Berlin My Love,’ An Other Sex 14 - The Fourteenth Israeli Annual Conference for Lesbian & Gay Studies and Queer Theory, Tel Aviv University 2014
- ‘Towards Politics of Paradoxes: Feminism, Pedagogy and Social Change,’ with Ronit Kark and Tanya Waldax Zion, Learning from Successes in Community-Academy Partnership, Hebrew University 2013
- ‘A Methodology of Damage,’ European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, University of Lisbon 2013
- ‘Lesbian Dramas and the Stories about Them,’ Crossroads in Cultural Studies, Sorbonne Nouvelle University Paris 2012
- ‘Methodologies of Damage: How to Do Things with Separations,’ An Other Sex 12 - The Twelve Israeli Annual Conference for Lesbian & Gay Studies and Queer Theory, Tel Aviv University 2012
- ‘Separation and the Art of Identity Maintenance,’ Gender in Theory and in the Field Conference, Bar-Ilan University 2012
- 'A Narrative Investigation of Queer Separation: Sexuality and Belonging in Israel,' Beyond Citizenship: Feminism and the Transformation of Belonging Conference, Birkbeck University of London 2010
- 'Queer Separations,' An Other Sex 10 - The Tenth Israeli Annual Conference for Lesbian & Gay Studies and Queer Theory, Tel Aviv University 2010
- 'Families We Choose and Those We Don't in Life Stories of Once Married Women Who Chose to Live as lesbians,' Anthropology of the Family, Kinship and Relationships, the 37th Annual Conference of the Israeli Anthropological Society, Kinneret Academic College 2009
- 'Families We Choose and Those We Don't: A Narrative Investigation of Kinship Transformation,' Narrative, Memory and Ordinary Lives, Narrative and Memory Research Group 9th Annual Conference, University of Huddersfield 2009
- 'Notes on a Scandal: Transformation and Transition in Life Stories Of Once-Married Women Who Chose to Live as Lesbians,' Lesbian Lives XIV: Lesbian Existence and the Lesbian Continuum Conference, Women's Education, Research and Resource Centre (WERRC), School of Social Justice, University College Dublin 2007
- 'Disturbed Reading: Resistance and Yielding to the Imperative for Coherence in Life Stories of Once Married Women Who Chose to Live as Lesbians,' Discourse and Gender in Israel Conference, Bar-Ilan University 2007
- 'Significantly Others: Life Stories of Once Married Women Who Chose to Live as Lesbians,' An Other Sex 06 - The Sixth Israeli Annual Conference for Lesbian & Gay Studies and Queer Theory, Tel Aviv University 2006
My publications on Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ruth_Preser